U.S. Passport and Travel Tips

passport and various currencyHere are a few items to consider when traveling outside the United States. Stay informed! Information is always being updated. For the latest information please go to: travel.state.gov

Passport and Travel Tips

Your passport is your ticket for international travel by air, sea and land.

  • If you are 16 or older your passport is valid for 10 years
  • If you are under the age of 16 it is valid for 5 years

Some countries can deny you access if your passport book will expire in less than 6 months. For specific country requirements refer to the country-specific information pages on the government website, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html.

Protecting Your Passport

Store in a safe location while at home and travelling. If lost or stolen, report it immediately. You can report it in one of 3 ways.

Passports reported as lost or stolen can no longer be used for travel.

Additional Tips for Travel

  • Carry photocopies of your passport biographical page and foreign visa with you at all times.
  • Once you receive a NEW passport your OLD passport is no longer valid, except under the following condition:
    • If you have a valid Visa linked to an old passport you must still travel with both your old and new passport!
  • Make sure your health insurance covers you while travelling outside the US, otherwise it is advisable to purchase additional travel insurance for your protection.
  • Keep U.S. Embassy contact information with you while you travel. If there is ever an emergency, the U.S. Department of State may be able to assist you.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Register your contact and travel itinerary with STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program)

By enrolling with STEP, during an emergency, U.S. embassies and consulates around the world can contact you directly during an emergency — including situations where family or friends in the United States are having problems trying to contact you!

Know Before You Go

An informed traveler is a safer traveler. Travel information is provided on every country in the world plus travel trips and resources, along with posting Travel Alerts and Travel Warnings.

Contact information

Inside the U.S. Outside the U.S.
General Passport Information 877-487-2778 Nearest Embassy / Consulate (usembassy.gov)
Reporting a Lost/Stolen Passport 877-487-2778 Nearest Embassy / Consulate (usembassy.gov)
Emergency Travel Assistance 888-407-4747 Nearest Embassy / Consulate (usembassy.gov)
International Parental Child Abduction 888-407-4747 +1-202-501-4444
Intercountry Adoption 888-407-4747 +1-202-501-4444

Find them online

You can find the U.S. Department of State — Bureau of Consular Affairs online at:

Website: Travel.state.gov
Twitter: @TravelGov
Facebook facebook.com/TravelGov

Safe Travels,

Leave your comment